Veg Nepali momos recipe|How to make momos Nepali style – prepare Nepali style veg momos at home-step by step instructions with pictures.
Momos are very popular in Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan and India. within a few years, momos have become very popular in India. It has become so much popular in India that you will find a momos shop on every other alley.
But by preparing momos at home you can ensure cleanliness.
There are many varieties of momos – steam momos, fried momos, tandoori momos, pan fried momos, soup momos, cheese momos, chocolate momos and many more varieties with different stuffing.
It’s uncountable! 😅 to mention each variety.
I really like classic steam momos rather than fried or tandoori. I have prepared this momos Nepali style.
- What is momos?
- How long it takes to prepare?
- Step by step instructions with pictures:
- Top tips:
- Other recipes you might like:
What is momos?
Momos are nibble size appetizer. It is the dumpling filled with vegetable or minced chicken. It tastes delicious when served hot with spicy chutney or dip.
I have prepared classic veg Nepali momos recipe, my hometown is near Nepal border and I have visited Nepal multiple times since my childhood.
I ate the best momos in Pokhara. In Nepal, momos are usually served with momos soup and delicious chutney or achar.
So I decided to share Nepali momos recipe, I get somewhat same aroma from these momos which I had in Pokhara.
How long it takes to prepare?
Preparing momos requires some time in shaping, but you will become pro in shaping after some practice. I have shaped momos in two ways, so you can try any one of them which you find easy.
It will require less time if you have someone to help you, when I prepare at home my mother roll the dough, I shape the dough and lastly my sister steam the momos.
So helping hands can make your work easier.
- I have used carrots, onions, ginger, and other veggies in the stuffing. But if you want simple stuffing then you can use paneer (cottage cheese), onions and garlic.
- If you don’t eat onion or garlic, then you can prepare stuffing with paneer(cottage cheese), cooked spinach and some salt for seasoning. so no worries, you can prepare momos stuffing without onion and garlic.
Step by step instructions with pictures:
I have divided procedure of preparing momos in 5 parts-
1- How to prepare momos dough?
- In a large bowl add all purpose flour, salt, and refined oil. Mix all the ingredients and knead the dough with water.
- The dough should be of medium consistency.
- Cover the dough and rest it for 20 minutes.
2- How to prepare momos stuffing?
- Start by grating the carrot and paneer (cottage cheese), chop green chilli, onion and coriander leaves. Lastly, mince the garlic and ginger with the help of mortar and pestle.
- Squeeze carrot and paneer with the help of your hands so that all the water is squeezed out.
- Now in a bowl or a plate transfer squeezed carrot and paneer, then add chopped coriander leaves, onion, green chilli, and minced garlic, ginger.
- Then add salt and mix all the ingredients.
- Momos stuffing is ready, you will get the delightful aroma of ginger and garlic.
3- How to assemble it?
- Divide the dough into small walnut size balls.
- Roll the dough balls into 3 to 4-inch diameter disk, if the dough sticks on the surface then you can sprinkle some flour. The rolled dough should be thin.
- Another way you can do this step is to roll the dough and then with the help of cookie cutter or sharp steel glass you can cut out 6-7 circle out of it or you can follow the first way.
4- How to shape it?
- You can shape the momos 2 ways–
- First and a super-easy way to shape momos – Flower shape.
- Start by placing the stuffing in the centre of rolled dough or wrapper, then fold the dough over the filling, then press the edge together with forefinger and thumb to create half moon shape.
- Then pinch both left and right ends together to the centre. And it’s ready, repeat the same for all.
- Second way to shape momos –
- place the stuffing on the centre of the wrapper or rolled dough.
- Start from left end and fold portion towards the centre with your forefinger and thumb.
- Pleat it tightly, from one half and seal it well from another side.
- Basically, you need to pleat one side and the other side should be unpleated, seal the unpleated side with pleated side.
5- How to steam it?
- Final and last step steam the momos
- Place the momos in the steamer and steam it for 5-6 minutes.
- when steamed, serve it hot.
- Don’t over steam the momos.
- Pleat the momos well, to prevent leakage.
- If you find difficulty in shaping momos, then you can also use momos mould. but after some practice, you will make perfect momos.
- Momos dough should be semi-stiff.
- Roll the momos dough thin, if the wrapper or rolled dough is thick then momos will become rubbery.
Other recipes you might like:
*Some of my posts may contain affiliate links! Meaning: I get a small commission if you click & make purchase through those links and will not cost you anything extra.*
- 6 small size carrot (grated)
- 2 medium size onion (chopped)
- 2 green chilli (chopped)
- 1/2 cup paneer (grated)
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves (chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oil ( for greasing the steamer plate)
In a large bowl add 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon refined oil. mix all the ingredients and knead the dough with water.
Rest the dough for 20-25 minutes. The dough consistency should be smooth but stiff.
For stuffing- in a large bowl add grated and squeezed carrot and paneer. Make sure there is no water left in paneer and carrot after squeezing. Then add 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves, 2 medium-size onion chopped, 2 green chillies finely chopped and lastly crush 4 cloves of garlic and 1/2 inch ginger with the help of mortar and pestle, and add it to the bowl.Mix all the ingredients and add 1 teaspoon salt and it's ready.
For Shaping momos- you can shape momos 2 ways, checkout the step by step instructions with pictures given below.
Last and final step- steam the momos in a steamer or if you don’t have steamer then you can also use steaming plate. Grease the oil on steaming plate and place the momos. Steam it for 5 to 6 minutes. Serve it hot with Spicey chutney.
Don't over steam the momos.
Seal the momos tightly while shaping.
Serving Size:7 momos each
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 1770mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 20g
All information presented and written within shellyfoodspot.com are intended for informational purposes only.
If you have prepared this Veg Nepali momos recipe|How to make momos Nepali style or any other recipe on shellyfoodspot then please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment and let me know how you liked it.
Follow us on Pinterest and subscribe to our mail list to get delicious recipe directly to your inbox.
pin it later–