This Sukha kala chana recipe (dry black chana) is cooked in tomato and onion masala then spiced with Indian spices. we also call it laptam vale chane in punjabi because it has little masala rather than being completely dry.
Guess what? you can make this chane under 30 minutes and it is so good, easy and perfect for lunch or breakfast.
Sukhe kale chane is very popular during navratri(hindus festival) but without onion and garlic, kale chane is also served in gurudwara in langar with bread and chai.
This recipe is perfect for school kids lunchboxes, or for working people, to save your time you can boil the chane at night and store it in an airtight container with its water(the water in which the chane is boiled) and use it in the morning.
This sukhe kale chane is:
- Healthy and wholesome recipes
- Requires basic ingredients
- 30 minutes recipe
This sukhe kale chane requires very basic ingredients and it would be available at every Indian kitchen pantry.
1. Tomato: use red and ripe tomatoes, ripe tomatoes are more juicy. grate the tomato with a grater and use it for masala.
2. Kala chana: kala chana is very healthy legume packed with proteins and vitamins, include kala chana in your diet have it during lunch or breakfast.
Soak the kala chana overnight and then pressure cook it and then use it in the recipe. other way of boiling kala chana are mentioned below.
3. Spices: the spices used in this recipe would be easily available in every Indian namak dani(spices box).
The spices used for flavouring sookha chana are turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder, dry mango powder and garam masala.
👩🏼🍳How to make kala chana
- Add mustard oil, onion and green chilli in kadhai and cook it by stirring occasionally at medium flame until it turns golden brown. once the onion turns golden brown add roughly chopped tomato and all the spices.
- Cover and cook it for 2 to 3 minutes and after 2 to 3 minutes the oil will be separated from the masala and tomato will soften.
- Then add in boiled kale chane or black chickpea and chana water. don’t discard the chana water it is very healthy and most of the times I add chana in the chana water, have it as a snacks.
- Cover and cook the chane for 5 to 7 minutes until the water is dried up, when the water is dried add garam masala and mix it well.
- It’s ready to serve garnish it with chopped coriander serve it with paratha, roti or bread also with some tea and pickle.
Checkout sukha kala chana recipe video on YouTube.
Serve this sookhe kale chane with paratha or roti or with poori and halwa. this kala chana goes well with bread and tea.
1. Is kala chana healthy?
Yes, kala chana is very healthy it is packed with protein, vitamin and fibre.
Include kala chana in your diet, kala chana helps in weight loss but not only kala chana all the legumes are healthy, improves digestion and helps in weight loss.
2. How to boil kala chana in pressure cooker?
Wash and soak the chane overnight, then pick or clean the chane then add soaked chane in the pressure cooker.
Now, add in water, the water should be 1 to 1.5 inch above the chana then close the lid and cook it at high flame until it get 2 whistle then lower the flame to simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
After 20-25 minutes turn off the flame.
Note: Check the chana if it is cooked or not by pressing it with a finger. if the chana is not cooked then repeat the process.
3. How to boil kala chana without pressure cooker?
In a deep pot or patila add soaked chana and water which should be 1 to 1.5 inch above the chane. cover and cook it at low flame it will take 30-35 minutes to boil it.
you can check it between whether it’s done or not. this process will take more time than pressure cooker.
4. Can you cook chana without soaking?
No worries, here i present you my dadi maa nuskha😛- soak washed chana or black chickpea in hot water and add one small pinch of baking soda or meetha soda. soak it for 30-40 minutes.
For 1 cup kala chana add 1 pinch of baking soda, 2cup chana=2 pinch soda
Note: Don’t add more than a pinch of baking soda otherwise you may end up getting loose motions.
After 30-40 minutes of soaking, pressure cook the chana with the same water.
5.What to do if you forget to soak black chickpea?
Soaking the chana is very important step, the answer for this question is given above. at last cook the chana either in pressure cooker or a pot.
📝Other recipes you might like
- 2 cup boiled kala chana
- 1/2 cup chana water
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 big onion (chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 2 green chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder or dhaniya powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mango powder or amchur powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- In a kadhai or a deep bottom pan add mustard oil, chopped onion and finely chopped green chilli. cook it on medium flame by stirring occasionally until onion turns golden brown.
- When onion turns golden brown add roughly chopped tomato and mix it well then add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and dry mango powder. Mix it well.
- Cover and cook it at low flame for 2-3 minutes or until oil separates and tomatoes are soften.
- Now add boiled kala chana and chana water then cover and cook it at low flame for more 5-7 minutes or until the water is dried up and everything is mixed nicely.
- When the water is dried add 1/4 teaspoon garam masala and mix it well.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot with roti or paratha or bread.
- To save your time you can boil the chane at night and store it in a airtight container with its water(the water in which the chane is boiled) and use it in the morning.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 1200mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 8gSugar: 11gProtein: 24g
All information presented and written within shellyfoodspot.com are intended for informational purposes only.
If you have tried this Sukha kala chana recipe (dry black chana) recipe or any other recipe on shellyfoodspot then please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment and also share a snap how it turned out.
Follow us on Pinterest and subscribe to our mail list to get delicious recipe directly to your inbox.