This paneer tikka recipe is made without onion and garlic, It is packed with flavours and marinated in yogurt and aromatic spices mixture.
This is Jain friendly recipe or if you don’t eat onion and garlic or even if you’re not jaini, you can try this recipe. let me tell you one important thing that their is no compromise with taste it is super delicious and easy to make at home.
Paneer tikka is very popular Indian appetizer in which diced paneer and veggies are marinated in yogurt based mixture and then grilled in tandoor, pan, BBQ, oven or over a gas flame.
Traditionally it is grilled in tandoor but you can opt for any option mentioned above.
It taste quite similar to restaurants style, so give this recipe a try and enjoy this delicious paneer tikka at home.
- What you need to make paneer tikka
- How to make paneer tikka
- Recipe variation
- Top tips
- Serving suggestions
- Paneer recipes you might like
- Recipe card
What you need to make paneer tikka
- Paneer– use fresh and soft paneer, I have used dairy paneer it is free from preservatives and fresh as well. you can also use fresh homemade paneer.
- Veggies– use seasonal veggies which ever is available like broccoli, cauliflower, baby potatoes, baby corn etc
- Marination– Yogurt, spices, gram flour or besan and mustard oil.
- Oil– use mustard oil, it is traditionally used in every tandoori dishes due to its pungent aroma and flavour so don’t skip it.
- Non stick pan
- Mixing bowl
- Skewers– you can use bamboo skewers or steel skewers. If using bamboo skewers then remember to soak it in the water for 30-40 minutes.
How to make paneer tikka
1- In a mixing bowl add yogurt, ginger paste, kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves), ajwain (carom seeds), red chilli powder (degi lal mirch), salt and garam masala.
(Note: crush the carom seeds or ajwain between you palms before adding it to the marination mixture so that it release it’s aroma and flavour)
2- Mix it nicely.
3- Now, heat mustard oil in a pan then add gram flour and turmeric powder.
4- Cook it at medium flame by stirring in continuously until gram flour is cooked, turns slightly golden brown and you will start getting aroma of it.
5- Then add gram flour mixture to the marination and combine it nicely until smooth mixture is formed.
6- Add diced paneer, capsicum and tomatoes in it. mix it gently so that paneer does not break and marination mixture is coated nicely on paneer and veggies.
7- Cover and keep the marinated paneer and veggies in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or you can keep it in the refrigerator overnight.
8- Arrange the marinated veggies and paneer in the skewers.
9- Spread mustard oil over a non-stick pan and grill paneer tikka at medium flame. turn it so that it is cooked from all sides.
10- After 5-6 minutes remove the paneer tikka skewer from the pan and char it over a gas flame.
11- Turn off the flame once the paneer tikka is done.
12- Squeeze lemon juice over it and serve it with coriander chutney (no onion garlic coriander chutney) or cilantro yogurt chutney.
Achari paneer tikka– add kalongi, methi dana or pickle spices to the marination to make achari tikka.
Hariyali paneer tikka – Add all the greens available like spinach, mint or coriander and make a paste of it. add green paste to marination, grill and enjoy.
✔️Use fresh paneer, it makes the paneer extra flavour full, soft and delicious.
✔️Use thick yogurt. yogurt plays very important role in every tandoori recipe marination, never skip it.
✔️I have not used any food colour as degi lal mirch gives red colour to it.
✔️Make sure to crush the carom seeds between your palm before adding it to the marination to get its aroma and flavour.
✔️You can also use mushroom, baby corns, baby potatoes or broccoli in this recipe.
✔️Don’t overcook or under cook the paneer, cook it at medium flame don’t cook it at low flame otherwise it may become chewy and rubbery.
✔️You can grill the paneer tikka in tandoor, OTG, bbq, gas oven or in a pan.
Connect with us on Instagram, YouTube & Pinterest.
Serve it with rumali roti or naan or tandoori roti. coriander chutney and any refreshing drink like mojito or Pepsi is must with it.
How to use leftover paneer tikka?
Use it in making sandwiches, roll or tacos.
Can I use tofu instead of paneer?
Personally I haven’t tried making tofu tikka but it works as it has slightly same texture as paneer. If you want to make it vegan then substitute yogurt with vegan yogurt.
Can I use sattu instead of gram flour (besan)?
Yes, gram flour can be substituted with sattu. But if you have gram flour or besan then use that only, sattu is the second option.
Paneer recipes you might like
Paneer tikka without onion and garlic|jain paneer tikka
Yes! You can make paneer tikka without onion and garlic with no compromise in taste.
This recipe is jain friendly and it taste delicious.
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- 1 tablespoon degi lal mirch powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil
- 2 tablespoon gram flour
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 300 gram paneer
- 1 small red capsicum
- 1 small yellow capsicum
- 1 small green capsicum
- 1 medium size tomato
- Mustard oil (for grilling)
- In a bowl add 1/2 cup thick yogurt, 2 tablespoon kasuri methi, 1/2 teaspoon carom seeds, 1 tablespoon degi lal mirch powder, 1 tablespoon ginger paste and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala.
- Mix it nicely until smooth.
- Heat 2 tablespoon mustard oil in a pan and add 2 tablespoon gram flour(besan), 1/4 turmeric powder in it. Cook it at medium flame by stirring continuously until it turns slightly golden brown and you will start getting aroma of it.
- Then add gram flour mixture to the marination and combine it nicely until smooth mixture is formed.
- Add diced veggies and paneer to the marination mixture and mix it gently and nicely so that mixture is coated nicely over the veggies and paneer.
- Cover and keep the marinated paneer and veggies in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or you can keep it in the refrigerator overnight.
- After 1-2 hours, arrange the paneer and veggies in a skewers.
- Spread mustard oil over a non-stick pan and grill paneer tikka at medium flame. flip it so that it is cooked from all sides.
- After 5-6 minutes remove the paneer tikka skewer from the pan and char it over a gas flame.
- Turn off the flame once the paneer tikka is done.Squeeze lemon juice over it and serve it hot.
- Use fresh paneer, it makes the paneer extra flavour full, soft and delicious.
- Use thick yogurt. yogurt plays very important role in every tandoori recipe marination, never skip it.
- I have not used any food colour as degi lal mirch does gives red colour to it.
- Make sure to crush the carom seeds between your palm before adding it to the marination to get its aroma and flavour.
- You can also use mushroom, baby corns, baby potatoes or broccoli in this recipe.
- Don’t overcook or under cook the paneer, cook it at medium flame don’t cook it at low flame otherwise it may become chewy and rubbery.
- You can grill the paneer tikka in tandoor, OTG, bbq, gas oven or in a pan.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 649mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 17g
All information presented are intended for informational purposes only.
If you have tried this paneer tikka recipe without onion and garlic or any other recipe on shellyfoodspot then please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment and let me know how you liked it.
Follow us on Pinterest and subscribe to our mail list to get delicious recipe directly to your inbox.