Kala chana chaat recipe or black chickpea chaat is combined with the crunch of veggies, flavourful spices and tanginess of lemon juice. this salad is packed with protein and is very healthy.
It has the perfect balance of texture and flavour. this recipe is oil free, gluten free and vegan.
Black chickpea is very popular in India especially during navratri but the recipe should be without onion and garlic.
This recipe of kala chana has no onion and garlic so you can try this recipe during navratri fasting/vrat or you can even make this recipe for iftar as it is very healthy.
This chaat is also served on roadside, mostly you can find chaat vendor near beach, parks or in carnivals.
It is light and perfect savoury snacks, have it as breakfast with bread and tea or have it as a evening snacks.
Give this recipe a try and enjoy. 😉
How to pressure cook kala chana
Soak kala chana or black chickpea in water overnight, soaked chickpea will be puffed up next day.
Drain the water and rise the kala chana nicely. add the kala chana, water and salt in the pressure cooker.
Pressure cook the chana at high flame until it get 2-3 whistles then lower the flame to simmer for 15 minutes and turn off the flame.
Let the pressure release naturally and chana is boiled, use it for salad or chaat or sabzi. you can also cook it in instant pot.
How to make kala chana chaat
In a mixing bowl add boiled black chickpea, chopped green chilli, tomatoes, cilantro and mint leaves.
Now add all the spices- salt, black salt or rock salt, chaat masala, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder and black pepper powder.
Then squeeze lemon juice over it and mix it nicely so that everything is combined well.
It’s ready to serve, isn’t very easy to make? Enjoy this healthy kala chana salad.
✔️Make sure that kala chana is cooked nicely and don’t discard the water which is left after boiling as it is very nutritious. you can little pepper in it and drink it as a dal soup.
✔️Feel free to increase or decrease the quantity of spices as per your taste and preference.
✔️ You can also add chopped onion, steamed corns or steamed sprouts, julienne carrots or cucumber, avocado and boiled potatoes. For extra flavour you can top this kala chana chaat with sev and papadi if you like it simple then skip it.
✔️You can make the same salad with boiled green peas or white peas as well.
✔️This salad is perfect for get together, birthday parties or kitty parties. you can also checkout kala chana chaat video.
Can I substitute black chickpea with white chickpea?
Yes why not, you can make white chickpea chaat and both the chickpea taste yum but has different taste, so the choice is yours.
What to do if I forgot to soak chana?
I wish their could be any solution but their is no choice, you need to soak chana in water for at least 6-7 hours. so make sure you have soaked chana or chickpea before making this.
Other recipes you might like
Pressure-cooking black chickpea
- 2/3 cup kala chana (black chickpea)
- 2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chopped mint leaves
- 1 lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon kala namak (rock salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 green chilli
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
Pressure-cook black chickpea
- Soak 2/3 cup kala chana in water overnight then drain the water and rinse the chana nicely.
- Add chana, 2 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the pressure cooker, close it with a lid and pressure cook it at high flame until it get 2-3 whistles then lower the flame to simmer for 15 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Let the pressure release naturally and chana is boiled, use it for salad or chaat.
Kala chana chaat
- In a bowl add boiled black chickpea, 1 chopped tomato, 1 chopped green chilli, 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon mint leaves, 1 lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon rock salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala and 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder.
- Combine it nicely and it is ready to serve.
- Make sure that kala chana is cooked nicely and don’t discard the water which is left after boiling as it is very nutritious. you can little pepper in it and drink it as a dal soup.
- You can add veggies of your choice and quantity of spices can be increased or decreased as per your taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 500mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
All information presented are intended for informational purposes only.
If you have tried this kala chana chaat recipe or any other recipe on shellyfoodspot then please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment and let me know how you liked it.
Follow us on Pinterest and subscribe to our mail list to get delicious recipe directly to your inbox.