Learn how to make sheer khurma in simple way. It is basically the sweet vermicelli milk pudding assorted with dry fruits and nuts.
Sheer khurma or sheer khorma is very popular in India, Pakistan and Afghanistan. This dessert is prepared on a special occasion and especially in the holy month of Ramzan, Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-al-Adha.
Eid is near so I thought to share this recipe with you all. it is usually served after morning prayer and also serve in feast during family gatherings or for guest as well.
- What is sheer khurma?
- Can you freeze it?
- Step by step recipe
- Other recipes you might like:
What is sheer khurma?
Sheer khurma is the traditional rich and creamy dessert prepared during Eid by Muslims. Eid is incomplete without this sweet vermicelli pudding or seviyan. you can also try Fruity phirni recipe and Malai coconut ladoo without condensed milk.
- Full cream milk
- Thin vermicelli
- Powdered sugar
- Milk powder
- Dry fruits (almonds, cashews, pistachio, dry dates and lotus seeds)
- Cardamom powder
- Clarified butter or Ghee
Can you freeze it?
Yes, you can freeze it in an airtight container or in a freezer-safe container. Whenever you want to have it take it out from the refrigerator 1 hour prior or you can have it chilled as well.
- I have prepared this sheer khurma recipe without condensed milk, I have used milk powder instead of it.
- I have used thin vermicelli, also known as seviyan. If you have thick vermicelli you can use it that too.
- I have used full cream milk, it is rich and creamy dessert. so i would suggest you use full cream milk for thick consistency.
- If you don’t have fresh dates you can use dry dates as well.
- For flavouring, you can use Kesar strands, cardamom powder, rose water and kewra water.
Step by step recipe
Soak the dry fruits in the water for 2-3 hours. I have soaked almonds, cashews, pistachios and dry dates.
Chop the soaked dry fruits.
In a pan heat clarified butter or ghee then add chopped dry fruits and lotus seeds (makhane). roast it on medium flame until golden.
When the dry fruits are roasted, transfer it to a plate. then in the same pan add clarified butter or ghee and then add vermicelli.
Roast the vermicelli on medium flame.
when vermicelli and dry fruits are roasted, keep it aside. Now in a heavy bottom pan add milk and boil it on medium flame by stirring occasionally.
When the milk is boiled and it starts to thicken then add roasted dry fruits, cardamom powder and milk powder. Stir continuously, so that no lumps are formed.
when dry fruits and milk powder is assorted then add roasted vermicelli and Mix it gently, don’t mash it.
when vermicelli is mixed, then add sugar. Mix gently. To get desired consistency add 1 to 2 cup milk if it becomes too much thick.but i have not added extra milk, if you want you can do it.
Cook it on low flame until vermicelli noodle becomes soft and sugar gets melt and mixed. When it gets cool down it will get thicker, so make sure you don’t overcook it.
Other recipes you might like:
Coconut ladoo without condensed milk
Semolina and coconut gujiya recipe
How to make sheer khurma
Sheer khurma recipe without condensed milk. Eid special rich and creamy dessert.
- 2 litre full cream milk
- 100 gram thin vermicelli
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk powder
- 1 tablespoon cardamom powder
- 3 tablespoon clarified butter or ghee
- 9 almonds
- 9 cashews
- 9 pistachios
- 2 dry dates
- 15-20 lotus seed or makhane
Roast the dry ingredients
- In a pan add 1 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter, then add chopped dry fruits(almond, lotus seed, cashews, pistachios). roast the dry fruits on medium flame by stirring it continuously.
- Roast the dry fruits until golden.
- Transfer the roasted dry fruits on a plate and in the same pan add 2 tablespoons of ghee or clarified butter then add 100 grams of thin vermicelli.stir and roast it by flipping it and roasting it from both sides until golden.
- When the vermicelli is roasted transfer it to another plate.
Adding dry ingredients to milk
- In the same pan or a pot add 2-litre milk and boil it on medium flame.
- When the milk starts to become thick, then add roasted dry fruits, 1/4 cup milk powder, and 1 tablespoon cardamom powder. Stir continuously.
- When everything is mixed in milk then add roasted vermicelli and stir gently. make sure you don't mash it.
- Cook it on low flame for 10-12 minutes until the vermicelli noodles become soft and every ingredients is assorted well.
- Turn off the flame. Garnish it with some chopped dry fruits and You can have it chilled or hot as well.
- If you want to change its consistency or it becomes thick you can add milk.
- You can serve it chilled or warm.
- When sheer khurma cools down it becomes thick.
Serving Size:5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 554
All information presented and written within shellyfoodspot.com are intended for informational purposes only.
This recipe is perfect for special occasions. you can also have it as a after dinner dessert or after lunch dessert too. if you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on shellyfoodspot then please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment and let me know how you liked it.