This cucumber raita recipe is very easy to make and can be made in less than 10 minutes. It is refreshing, cooling, sour, and with the flavors of herbs and spices. This raita is gluten-free and vegetarian.
Raita is a very popular side dish served with Indian meals. The main ingredient in raita is yogurt in which numerous variations can be made by adding grated, chopped or shredded veggies or fruits to it.
Cucumber raita is one of my favorite raita, I have this raita in lunch at least twice or something thrice a week. It goes really well with stuffed bhindi and chapati.
Cucumber- Use fresh cucumber.
Green chilli- Green chilli is optional, you can also use chopped coriander or chopped mint leaves instead of that.
Yogurt- Use fresh yogurt, homemade yogurt can also be used.
Spices- Salt, roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder, and black pepper powder. chaat masala can also be used.
How to make cucumber raita
Peel a cucumber and grate it with a grater.
After grating, squeeze out all the cucumber juice with the help of your hand.
(Note- Don’t discard the cucumber juice, freeze it in an ice cube tray and use it on your face. cucumber is really very good for the skin.)
The reason behind squeezing out all the juice is to get the thick and creamy consistency.
In a bowl add yogurt and whisk it well until smooth. Add grated cucumber, chopped green chili, roasted cumin seed powder, salt, black pepper powder, and red chili powder. Whisk it again so that it is mixed nicely.
It’s ready to serve. Isn’t it easy? Serve it with stuffed paratha or plain chapati, Indian meals, biryani or it can be also served as a dip.
Use fresh yogurt and fresh cucumber, avoid using bitter cucumber.
You can also add chopped onion, capsicum, boiled potatoes, or mint leaves to the raita.
Don’t add salt or other spices if you’re not having the raita immediately after making it, as salt will release water and taste consistency may also differ. if you want to do the prep before then mix grated cucumber and yogurt, and keep it in the refrigerator. Add spices when you want to have it.
You can make different variations like carrot raita, beetroot raita, onion raita, fruit raita, etc.
Is cucumber raita healthy?
Yes, it is very healthy. it is very good for summers to beat the heat, every yogurt-based recipe like chaas, lassi, and raita is very healthy and has various health advantages.
What does raita taste like?
It is very refreshing with the crunch of veggies, creaminess of yogurt, and lastly flavor of spices.
How to make it vegan?
Use vegan gluten-free yogurt instead of normal yogurt to make it vegan.
Other recipes you might like
Cucumber raita for biryani|Cucumber raita recipe
Easy, refreshing, cooling and delicious cucumber raita recipe. This recipe requires few basic ingredients and can be made in less than 15 minutes.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1 cup yogurt or curd
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Peel 1 cucumber and grate it with a grater. After grating, squeeze out all the cucumber juice with the help of your hand.
- The reason behind squeezing out all the juice is to get the thick and creamy consistency.
- In a bowl add 1 cup yogurt and whisk it well until smooth. Add grated cucumber, 1 chopped green chili, 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder, and 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder. Whisk it again so that it is mixed nicely.
- Ready to serve
- Use fresh yogurt and fresh cucumber, avoid using bitter cucumber.
- You can also add chopped onion, capsicum, boiled potatoes, or mint leaves to the raita.
- Don't add salt or other spices if you're not having the raita immediately after making, as salt will release water and taste consistency may also differ. if you want to do the prep before then mix grated cucumber and yogurt, and keep it in the refrigerator. Add spices when you want to have it.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 126Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 9g
All information presented are intended for informational purposes only.
If you have tried this cucumber raita recipe or any other recipe on shellyfoodspot then please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment and let me know how you liked it.
Follow us on Pinterest & YouTube. Subscribe to our mail list to get delicious recipes directly to your inbox.